THE STATION EXPANSION PROJECT
Union Station Redevelopment Corporation (USRC) is one of the partners involved in the plans for Union Station’s 2nd Century. USRC is working closely with the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and Amtrak to implement long-term development plans for Union Station and the surrounding area.
The Station Expansion Project (SEP), led by consulting architecture firm Beyer Blinder Belle, consists of two major work efforts: the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) led by FRA and the conceptual design of the project based upon a final Record of Decision, expected in 2019. The project will include a transportation plan, passenger amenities, market demand and urban design analyses, and public outreach and involvement. Additionally, with the completion of the EIS, it will fulfill the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the concurrent National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 process.
At this stage of the major development project, FRA is leading the NEPA process, including the associated stakeholder and community outreach and the concurrent NHPA Section 106 process. FRA is currently reviewing the preliminary alternatives that were included in the Concept Development Report released on July 31, 2017. In 2018, work will continue to refine and engage in a new round of public participation on the preliminary concepts.
Fall and Winter 2018 Public Engagement Events
In fall and winter 2018, representatives of the Station Expansion Project were present at several community events to engage with the public and community organizations in order to provide information on the project. Below is a list of events that SEP representatives attended:
• Barracks Row Fall Festival – September 29, 2018
• Eastern Market – October 7 and 14 and November 3, 2018
• H Street NE Festival – October 13, 2018
• NoMa BID PumpkinPalooza – October 24, 2018
• Hill-o-Ween at Eastern Market – October 26, 2018
• Union Station Holiday Extravaganza and 22nd Annual Norwegian Tree Lighting Ceremony – November 29, 2018
• Wunder Garten Winterfest Holiday Market – December 7, 2018
• Winter Wonder in NoMa – December 13, 2018