Inauguration 2017 and Union Station
General Information Regarding Union Station During Inauguration Weekend
The Presidential Inauguration on Friday, January 20, 2017 and events in the DC metro area on January 19, 21, and 22, 2017 are expected to draw large crowds inside and around Washington Union Station. Before traveling to Union Station, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Amtrak Ambassadors wearing high-visibility vests will be available to assist customers and answer questions at Union Station from January 19th to January 22nd.
- Customers are encouraged to allow additional time to arrive at the station before departure. It is recommended that customers follow special signage to reach boarding gates for Amtrak, WMATA, MARC, VRE, and the bus deck/garage.
- Special pedestrian traffic patterns in and around Union Station will be in effect. Please follow the instructions of station and law enforcement personnel while boarding, detraining, and exiting and entering the station.
- Restroom facilities in the station are limited and will be extremely crowded, so customers might consider using the restroom before returning to the station for their return train and bus trips. Portable facilities will also be available outside the station for public use.
- Customers should consider packing lightly, as lockers and storage facilities may fill up quickly and space may be limited.
- The station’s food court and most retail shops will be open throughout the day from January 20th to 22nd.
Special Information Regarding Access To Union Station
From January 17th through 4am on January 20th, the Main Hall will be closed. Additionally, from 10pm on Tuesday, January 17th to 4am on January 20th, the main entrance of Union Station at 50 Massachusetts Avenue NE will be closed.
On Thursday, January 19th, from 7:30pm to 10pm, Massachusetts Avenue NE between 3rd Street NE and North Capitol Street NE will be closed. Also, on January 19th, the west and east halls in Union Station will be closed from 12pm to 11pm and the food court will be closed from 2pm to 11pm. In addition, after 6pm on the 19th, the Massachusetts Avenue/West Carriage Porch Metro entrance/exit will be closed and patrons will have to use the 1st Street NE entrance/exit.
Taxis To And From Union Station
Taxi service at Union Station will be relocated from Saturday, January 14th to Monday, January 23rd. During these dates (with the exception of January 19th), taxis will only be available for pick-up and drop-off at the West Carriage Porch on the southwest side of the station near 1st Street NE. From Thursday, January 19th at 11am to January 20th at 3:30am, taxis will be relocated to H Street NE (east of the bus exit ramp) on the north side of the station. Customers arriving by train or metro to Union Station will be able to access the taxis on H Street NE via the 1st Street NE metro entrance/exit or the station garage.
Train, Metro, And Bus Travel To And From Union Station
Information on train travel to and from Union Station is available on the following websites:
Details on WMATA’s operations can be found at https://www.wmata.com/rider-guide/events/inauguration/ Information on modified services for commuter buses from Maryland to Washington, DC is available at https://mta.maryland.gov/content/commuter-bus-dc-routes-modified-service-2017-inauguration-activities Also, information regarding Capital Bikeshare during inauguration weekend can be found at https://www.capitalbikeshare.com/news/2017/01/03/inauguration-2017-system-adjustments-corral-service
The DC Streetcar will be in operation from 4am on Friday, January 20th until 2am on Saturday, January 21st. On January 20th, the DC Circulator will suspend service on four routes: Navy Yard, National Mall, Rosslyn-Dupont, and Georgetown-Union Station. Further information is available online at the DC Department of Transportation website.
There will be heightened security measures in Union Station and aboard trains, which may include:
- Increased patrols of Amtrak Police Officers and local, state and federal law enforcement partners,
- Additional K-9 units,
- Increased identification checks, and
- Screening of passengers and carry-on and checked baggage.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Union Station Redevelopment Corporation at 202-222-0271.